Let’s Play with LOLA
A Live Online Learning Activity (LOLA) is a structured technique that increases undefined and improvesinteraction in webinars and virtual classroom sessions. In this walk-the-talk session,you will experience and explore five types of LOLAs:
- Structured sharing. You ask an open question and catalyze the participants into sharing their best practices.
- Interactive lecture. You intersperse interactive interludes throughout your training presentation.
- Jolt. You startle your participants with a brief activity that lasts for less than 3 minutes. Then you debrief the participants to discover powerful insights from their experience.
- Interactive story. You present a short-short story and require your participants to actively change the ending or the setting or the characters or the level of details. You use this approach to explore key concepts and principles.
- Textra games. You display a short text message and conduct a variety of activities that invite the participants to discover and apply the principles incorporated in the message.
At the end of the session, you will have access to several online job aids and templates that will enable you to instantly create your own LOLAs to suit the resources and constraints in your situation.
By the way, LOLA is platform agnostic. You can apply these instructional design principles to any webinar software. You don’t have to be a technology nerd.
Level IV. Business Results: Increase the cost-effectiveness of online virtual classroom training sessions.
Level III. Professional Behavior: Design and deliver effective asynchronous virtual classroom training sessions faster and cheaper.
Level II. Learning Outcomes: Apply evidence-based training principles to design five types of interactive webinar activities.
Level 1. Reaction: Participate in an engaging live online learning session that walks the talk.